Google Translate

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rendu kavalandi (Both wanted)





Original in Telugu By: Ampasayya Naveen






Dr. ‘Ampasayya’ Naveen is a well-known Telugu novelist and short story writer. His first novel, Ampasayya (Bed of Arrows), which depicts the life of university students and stresses on the psycho-economic factors, is said to be one of the best-sellers in Telugu literary field.  

Anthasravanthi (Inner Stream), Mullapodalu (Thorn Bushes), Cheekati Rojulu (Dark Days), Mouna Ragalu (Silent Tunes), Vichelitha (The Disturbed), and Kalarekhalu (Imprints of Time) are some of Dr. Naveen’s famous novels. 

Kalarekhalu, which won him the Sahitya Academy Award in 2004, depicts the social, political and cultural history of Telangana region from 1956 to 1994. Ampasayya, Mullapodalu and Anthasravanthi are known as the ‘Ravi Trilogy’.

Dr. Naveen won many awards and was honored with Doctorate by Kakatiya University in 2004. Many of his stories have also been translated into Hindi, English, Tamil, Kannada and Marathi.
Translator: GRK Murty
“Hello … Hello… Who is it?”
“It’s me…Kamalarani from Gudeppadu.”
“Not audible   … could you speak a little louder.”
“Me… Kamalarani from Gudeppadu.”
“Will you please reduce the TV volume?”
“Ok.”
“Yes, now tell me.... where are you talking from?”
“Gudeppadandi…”
“What padu is that?”
“Gudeppadandi…”
“Ok! Gudeppada? Fine … your name please?”
“I am Kamalarani nandi
“Oho! Kamalaranaa-andi[1] …..Sweet name… what are you doing?”
“Me… right now I am talking to you andi.”
“Oh! No.. That’s not what I mean… your profession… what profession are you in?”
“Well, as such I don’t have any profession.”
“That means… you don’t do anything.”
“Why not… I am doing degree.”
“Why haven’t you said it right in the beginning … so you are a degree student … which degree you are doing?”
“Doing B.A.!”
“Oh! Doing B.A.?”
“Why… you asked in such a way… don’t like B.A.?”
“Nothing  like that… nowadays nobody is doing B.A… mostly, either electronics or information technology… that’s why I said so… sorry... offended?”
“Not at all. I don’t know how to get offended.”
“That means you are such a nice person… ‘cause of people like you this society could still remain truthful.”
“Oh! What an affection you have for me! … What a great anchor you are… really, I love you.”
“Thanks a lot! By the way, what are your hobbies?”
“Hobbies! Oh so many.”
“Tell me one or two.”
“Talking to anchors like you in TV programs for hours together is my first hobby.”
“Thanks a lot!  ‘Cause of people like you we could have enough work on hand, keep it up!”
“What’s your second hobby?”
“Watching movies.”
“So bunking classes, you go for movies … bunking Botany classes you go to matinees.”
“I do not have Botany classes, do l I! Told you I am doing B.A….”
“Sorry! Very, very sorry! Forgot that you are doing B.A. Whose movies do you like the most?”
“Everybody’s  movies.”
“You like everybody’s? How come! Don’t you have a favorite hero!”
“All heroes are my favorite heroes.”
“Really… fantastic! So, you love all the heroes… Do you have a boyfriend?”
“Yes, I do.”
“How many?”
“So many…”
“What a big heart you have… so many heroes, so many boyfriends, how are you maintaining!”
“What do you mean by asking how am I maintaining? What do you think of me?”
“Oh! Nothing… sounds again offended you … said in a lighter vein. Are you taking it seriously?”
“I too said it in a lighter vein.”
“Fine…what do you want? Want maata[1]?... pata[2]?”
“Want both.”
“Oh! No… how can you?... not possible… can’t have both… not possible.”
“Not possible! Why?”
“Any one… tell your preference.”
“…”
“…”
                                                                …and it goes on.

 ____________________
 [i] andi – suffixed to a name for showing respect to that person, like adding “Sir” after the name of an Aristocrat to show respect.
[1] maata - speech

[2] paata - song

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget