Google Translate

Sunday, October 25, 2020

Sri Rama, the Sthitaprajñah

In consultation with his counsellors, King Dasaratha decides to install Sri Rama as Prince Regent. He then summons Sri Rama immediately to his presence.  On his arrival, with folded hands, Dasaratha informs him that he has decided to install him as Prince Regent the very next day. So, he asks him to observe certain sacred vows, along with Sita, as a preliminary to installation. Rama then goes to his mother and takes her blessings.  He then retires along with Sita to his own palace.

The next morning, Rama was summoned by the King. He drives in state to his gynaeceum. On reaching, he offers salutations first at his Royal father’s feet and thereafter at Kaikeyi’s. Summoning his strength, Dasaratha could hardly utter “Rama”. But he could neither cast a look at Rama, nor speak further. His eyes are blinded by tears. Seeing the unusual appearance of the King, Sri Rama senses something amiss. Then turning to Kaikeyi, Sri Rama, saluting her says “I hope no offence has been unwittingly committed by me … What is this agitation in the mind of the emperor due to? Please enlighten me correctly about this.” 

Kaikeyi then replies thus: “Th e King is neither angry nor is there any anguish troubling him … Having granted me a boon in the past, this monarch repents now in the same way as a commoner … If you implement whatever the king says, irrespective of it being good or bad for you, I shall reiterate everything to you.” 

Distressed by her comments, Rama says: “How shameful for me to hear such words expressing doubt about my devotion to my father … At the bidding of my father I am prepared to leap into fire … O, Glorious lady! I shall do that which the king desires …I give my plighted word …” 

“Then listen carefully,” says Kaikeyi. “As against the promised boons, I solicited the king to install Bharata as Prince Regent.  Two, I asked him to exile you to forest for fourteen years … Oh! Rama! … implement this pledge and deliver the king from the delicate situation.” Although Kaikeyi spoke unkindly thus, Rama did not yield to grief at all. 

Rama then responds to the ordering of Kaikeyi, his stepmother, thus: “If I have to do whatever action is dearer to my revered father, that action is just done in all respects even by renouncing life … Indeed, there is no greater piety than service to one’s father or his bidding … here do I proceed to forest without calling in question the command of my father.” 

Here, the poet says that the uttering of banishment by the queen has no impact on Rama: “Not a muscle moved on the noble countenance. It shone in full lustre as it always did. He simply appeared, as if he was still on the high tide of prosperity and power. He did not show the slightest unhappiness or disappointment.” 

Offering obeisance at the feet of his father who has fainted and also at the feet of ignoble Kaikeyi, Rama walks out in — mahādyuti—great brilliance. 

Straight from there, Rama goes to tell about his banishment to his mother. But while telling the sad news to his mother, the poet says that Rama controls “his unhappiness within his own heart”. Which means, there is unhappiness, but he conquers it. It becomes still worse when he has to convey the news to Sita, his wife. In spite of the depressing nature of the circumstances, he conquers the momentary disturbances and maintains equanimity brilliantly. 

That is what is meant by being a Sthitaprajña—neither is he elated at the prospect of becoming Prince Regent nor did grieve at the loss of it.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget